Our Pain Management Program
A Multidisciplinary Team and Approach to the Treatment of Painful Diseases and Conditions
Anesthesiologists at the University of Minnesota Physicians provide expert pain management services for the prevention, evaluation, diagnosis, treatment and rehabilitation of painful diseases and conditions. Our Clinic for Comprehensive Pain Management includes anesthesiologists, physical medicine & rehabilitation physicians (PM&R), psychologists, pharmacists, physical therapists and nurse practitioners who have expertise in pain management. We provide the latest treatment advances to help reduce or alleviate pain in the safest manner possible with a focus on non-opioid treatments. This may include medications, interventional procedures and/or pain-control devices to enable you to fully engage in atraumatic exercise and neurobehavioral counseling that serve as the foundation of successful chronic pain management.
We work closely with other specialists within the University of Minnesota Health system to coordinate care and to develop the best and safest possible plan for managing pain.
We provide specialty care for (but not limited to):
- Arthritis and other joint pain
- Spine disease, back pain, and chronic neck pain
- Interventional approaches to cancer pain or pain due to serious medical conditions
- Chronic abdominal or pelvic pain
- Complex regional pain syndrome
- Fibromyalgia, musculoskeletal and myofascial pain
- Neuropathic pain including diabetic neuropathy, shingles related neuralgia
- Ongoing pain and disability due to injury
- Pain of unknown etiology
- Persistent pain after surgery
- Persistent pain that does not respond to usual medical therapies
Anesthesiologists at the University of Minnesota are committed to providing exceptional care based on leading-edge academic research. We work hard to keep you informed of your patients’ care by providing detailed reports from diagnosis to treatment to follow-up.
How to Contact the Pain Clinic:
Clinics and Surgery Center
909 Fulton St Se Floor 4
Minneapolis, MN 55455
Clarence Shannon IV, MD
Ratan Banik MD